It's time to update the Eater 38, your answer and ours to any question that begins, “Can you recommend a restaurant?” This highly elite group covers the entire city, spans myriad cuisines, and collectively satisfies all of your restaurant needs, save for those occasions when you absolutely must spend half a paycheck. Every couple of months, we'll be adding pertinent restaurants that were omitted, have newly become eligible (restaurants must be open at least six months), or have stepped up their game.
This time around, after much reflecting and poring over reader emails and comments, we're switching out Chelsea favorite Socarrat for its older, divier, and less trendy sister restaurant La Nacional in the basement of the Spanish Benevolent Society. The paellas are just as good but the menu is broader, the setting cozier, the waits shorter. Next up, Marcus Samuelsson's Red Rooster nudges excellent uptown barbecue spot Dinosaur off the list, and, Blue Ribbon will give up its spot in the too-crowded Soho section of the 38 to make way for another late-night classic Veselka.
For those of you readying the pitchforks because your favorite restaurant isn't on the list—or because you love the raw bar at Blue Ribbon—wouldn't it just be more productive to leave your thoughts in the comments? State your cases for (or against) restaurants in the comments or in the tipline.
Additions and Subtractions:
· November, 2009: 15 East dropped, Casa Mono added
· January, 2010: Little Giant, Nougatine, and Co. dropped; Prune, Marea, and Aldea added
· March, 2010: Barbuto and Sapori D'Ischia dropped; Joseph Leonard and Minangasli added
· July, 2010: Ippudo, Prune, and Vinegar Hill House dropped; Yakitori Totto, L&B Spumoni Gardens, and Bar Boulud added
· October, 2010: Frankies 457, Peasant, and Marea dropped; Prime Meats, Torrisi Italian Specialties, and Salumeria Rosi added
· January 2011: L&B Spumoni Gardens, Diner, and Convivio dropped; Franny's, Rye, and Balaboosta added.
· April 2011: Franny's, Little Owl, and Maz Mezcal dropped; Mile End, ABC Kitchen, and Cascabel Taqueria added.