It's time to update the Eater 38, your answer and ours to any question that begins, “Can you recommend a restaurant?” This highly elite group covers the entire city, spans myriad cuisines, and collectively satisfies all of your restaurant needs, save for those occasions when you absolutely must spend half a paycheck. Every couple of months, we'll be adding pertinent restaurants that were omitted, have newly become eligible (restaurants must be open at least six months), or have stepped up their game.
This time around, after much reflecting and poring over reader emails and comments, we're switching out short lived addition Franny's, Little Owl (see Joseph Leonard), and Maz Mezcal. In their places go the very excellent Mile End (It's hard to say goodbye to Franny's, but Mile End is really where you want to be going to dinner in South Brooklyn right now), Jean-Georges' much lauded ABC Kitchen, and uptown Mexican spot Cascabel Taqueria.
For those of you readying the pitchforks because your favorite restaurant isn't on the list—or because you lerve the pizza at Franny's—wouldn't it just be more productive to leave your thoughts in the comments? State your cases for (or against) restaurants in the comments or in the tipline.
Additions and Subtractions:
· November, 2009: 15 East dropped, Casa Mono added
· January, 2010: Little Giant, Nougatine, and Co. dropped; Prune, Marea, and Aldea added
· March, 2010: Barbuto and Sapori D'Ischia dropped; Joseph Leonard and Minangasli added
· July, 2010: Ippudo, Prune, and Vinegar Hill House dropped; Yakitori Totto, L&B Spumoni Gardens, and Bar Boulud added
· October, 2010: Frankies 457, Peasant, and Marea dropped; Prime Meats, Torrisi Italian Specialties, and Salumeria Rosi added
· January 2011: L&B Spumoni Gardens, Diner, and Convivio dropped; Franny's, Rye, and Balaboosta added.