Beloved Queens Italian restaurant closes for good
Old school Italian Queens red sauce joint Il Triangolo — perhaps best known for its refusal to allow cellphone use while eating — has permanently closed after nearly a decade. A voice recording left by owner Mario Gigliotti on the restaurant’s telephone number lets customers know that the nearly decade-old establishment has closed for good.
“We will deeply miss all of you but our memories together will always be in our hearts,” Gigliotti says in the message. “And remember no cellphones while you dine with your family or friends.”
The restaurant, located in the triangular lot at the corner of Corona Avenue and Junction Boulevard, opened in April 2011. The restaurant quickly established a reputation for the homey, welcoming vibe that Gigliotti developed there along with his wife Pierina Gigliotti, along with the restaurant’s southern Italian menu, and of course the no cell phone rule. “People said that I was crazy having all these rules, especially with the phones, but they thank me now because they taste the food and enjoy their company,” Gigliotti told the New York Times back in 2018.
Il Triangolo now becomes the latest in a long and ever-growing list of restaurants that have closed due to the coronavirus pandemic. Since March, more than a 1,000 establishments have permanently closed due to the downturn in business, and the lack of aid to pay for fix costs like rent and utilities.
In other news
— In partnership with local restaurants Wayan, Peasant, and the Musket Room, Nolita’s the Musket Room will host a Halloween-themed cocktail hour in the garden with hors d’oeuvres from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., on October 29.
— More than 700 hospitality industry workers signed a letter addressed to Gov. Andrew Cuomo last week calling on several relief measures like eliminating tipped minimum wage, and tip sharing.
— Upscale Italian chain Il Mulino’s owner Jerry Katzoff has sued his lenders, accusing them of trying to push him out of the business. It’s the latest in a legal battle that reportedly caused Katzoff to file for bankruptcy protections for some of the chain’s locations earlier this year.
— Former Del Posto chef de cuisine Michael Davis has started a new online bakery. Boy Blue Coffee and Goods delivers canneles, pretzels, cookies, and more across NYC.
— New coffee shop and cocktail bar, Split Eights, opened at 40 Exchange Place, at William Street, in FiDi last week. It’s open daily from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. for coffee, and from 4:30 p.m. to midnight for cocktails.
— A new Vietnamese restaurant, Nón Lá Vietnamese Kitchen, is coming to East 4th Street, between First and Second Avenues.
— Following suit:
Had snickerdoodles for breakfast. Overdressed potato salad for lunch. Dinner may be gin.— Regina Schrambling (@gastropoda) October 23, 2020