A two-alarm fire has closed Tatiana in Brighton Beach. The blaze broke out underneath the boardwalk the Russian restaurant sits atop on Sunday evening around 9:50 p.m., injuring one firefighter, Bklyner reports.
A restaurant employee confirms that the restaurant is currently closed, but did not say when it would reopen. The restaurant was reportedly open when the fire broke out, and customers had to flee as employees tried to put the flames out with extinguishers. But plastic tables in the outdoor area had already caught fire, and by the time the fire was contained, the entire outdoor area had been destroyed.
Bklyner reports that owners and nearby residents are blaming the city for not taking better care of the boardwalk, which has a history of trash accumulating and homeless people living underneath. The FDNY told Brooklyn Eagle that the fire was started by a lit cigarette discarded onto a mattress.
Tatiana is known as a Russian nightclub and outdoor dinner destination. On weekend nights, there’s Vegas-style entertainment with acrobatic dancers and singers. It’s accompanied by a Russian banquet feast and bottles of vodka on most tables.