clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Midtown Club Evacuated Thursday Night for Carbon Monoxide, Sickening 24

New, 1 comment

The injuries were non-life threatening, the fire department says

The Iridium Photo via Foursquare

Two dozen people got sick from a carbon monoxide leak at the Iridium last night — forcing an evacuation of the Midtown jazz club. None of the injuries were life-threatening, and none of them went to the hospital, according to the fire department. Update: A representative for Iridium says it has reopened and that the leak was caused by an issue with the carbonation tank for soda.

FDNY got the call at 9:48 p.m. to go the club at 1650 Broadway, which is in the same building and has the same owner as famed tourist destination restaurant Ellen’s Stardust Diner. About 90 people were in the club at the time for a show by Denny Laine, according to the Daily News, though according to the venue, it fits up to 180 people. The fire department found the leak and aired the property out.

The people who felt ill said they were experiencing headaches and dizziness. A club manager and other officials are blaming poor ventilation. Eater has reached out to officials of the club.

The Iridium has been open since 1994 and since then has hosted a slew of music acts, most famously being the weekly stage for pioneering jazz musician Les Paul for more than 14 years. It underwent a $150,000 renovation in 2015, according to the website. Ellen’s Stardust Diner is in the same property, famous for its singing servers, but it did not need to evacuate.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Eater New York newsletter

The freshest news from the local food world