Dō, the Instagram-famous, raw cookie dough shop that garners hours-long lines, is being sued for allegedly causing at least two cases of food poisoning. Two Manhattan College students have brought a class-action lawsuit against the eight-month-old confectionary, alleging owner Kristen Tomlan knowingly lied about the safety of her product.
Dō’s website calls the raw cookie dough “completely safe to consume” because of pasteurized egg product and and heat-treated flour. “That means NO chance of food-borne illness or the risk that comes along with eating raw flour products. At last, worry-free treats you can't get sick from!” the site says.
Except Julia Canigiani and Katherine Byrne say they both got sick minutes after eating at Dō, experiencing diarrhea, heartburn, and more. The suit, in full below and first reported by the Post, also cites eight other Yelp reviews that allege sickness. According to the Mayo Clinic, food poisoning can begin “within hours of eating contaminated food.”
Canigiani and Byrne are suing for unspecified damages on behalf of anyone who got sick after eating at Dō. Update: Dō tells Eater that, “We stand behind the safety of our products and our representations about our products. We will fully and faithfully defend ourselves against any and all false accusations.”