State officials are now looking into a pizza festival that people claim was “a total scam” after they paid as much as $75-per-person for almost no pie.
Attorney General Eric Schneiderman’s office has reached out to the organizers of the New York Pizza Festival and has opened an inquiry about the situation, a spokesman says. They decided to seek more information after seeing reports online and are encouraging people to submit formal complaints via the state’s website.
The attorney general is the highest law enforcement officer in the state.
People flooded Facebook over the weekend, saying that Saturday event in Bushwick faced a long line but almost no actual pizza. Many posted pictures of the empty lot where the festival was supposed to be, as well as the tiny slivers of pie that they received. About 84,000 people marked that they were interested in the event on Facebook, and some said they traveled from as far as D.C. to attend. It’s being likened to a food version of the Fyre Festival, the high profile music festival disaster that happened earlier this year.
The event itself advertised that it was “a day long celebration of dough, cheese, tasty sauces and delicious toppings” and that there would be “pizza for taste buds of all types.” It did not note how many — or the names — of any vendors that might be there.
Organizer Aputumpu, which says it is a group that throws “parties, concerts and festivals in Brooklyn,” posted to Facebook on Saturday evening saying that they planned to reschedule a tasting. They have not yet responded to a request for comment from Eater.
Stay tuned for more.