Restaurateur Josh Früm opened the Colonial-inspired restaurant at 103 Greenwich Avenue in 2011. It was named after former name of the corner, a road that New Yorkers used to go from the city to the countryside in the 1700 and 1800s.
Früm obsessively stocked the place with historical memorabilia and reprints, including a chandelier that used to be a pig carrier in a meatpacking plant from the 20th century. Eighteen tables tables had been converted from doors purchased from a family that had a house dating back to the 1880's — an example that reinforced that little of the decor was kept in its original form in that most of it had been reclaimed.
Chefs at the restaurant changed, but the restaurant maintained a seasonal menu of dishes like roasted trout with broccoli rabe and roasted chicken. A Times review of the restaurant noted that the restaurant was mostly “the pleasant neighborhood spot it wants to be.”