New York's first outpost of World of Beer, an insane Florida-based chain that is as much the Disney World of beer as it sounds, is finally, after almost one and a half years, about to open. The Chelsea location is slated to open in early May.
Here are seven vital facts you need to know:
- There will be 500 beers available, including some local ones, and 50 rotating taps. That's probably more keg taps than the number of frats in Manhattan.
- On Sundays, there will be something called BEERunch. Simple Math: Beer + Brunch = BEERunch?
- There will be a "1,200-square-foot indoor patio space," whatever that means. Perhaps this indoor patio can be friends with the indoor porch at Danny Meyer's new bar Porchlight.
- The bar will have an "infusion tower" that will be used to infuse beer with things like fruit, herbs, coffee, or hops. Sounds like a large version of one of those bro-tastic beer towers, with stuff floating in it.
- Beer will be part of almost everything. The menu includes Guinness brat sliders and a Chimay burger with melted Chimay cheese from the brewery in Belgium.
- Servers must attend a two-week beer school so they can help guide guests through the maze of a menu.
- For the truly devoted fans, there's a loyalty club that allows drinkers to gather points, kind of like a Dave & Busters for beer-drinkers. Here too they can be redeemed for gift cards, t-shirts, and parties. And because these are modern times, the WOB Loyalty Club card, as it's called, is available on iPhone and Android smartphones.