This seafood restaurant opened in 1920 in Brooklyn's Sheepshead Bay, when that seaside neighborhood supported a giant commercial fishing fleet and the bay was lined with clam shacks, many on stilts. By 1934 the place moved into a vastly expanded premises filling an entire block with a two-story building in the Spanish Mission style. The place seated 2,600, making it the largest restaurant in the city, and it served 15,000 meals on Mothers Day. Lundy's closed in 1979, and subsequent attempts to revive it – ost recently in a small corner of the original building – have proven unsuccessful. The building is now occupied by a mini shopping center and a few restaurants.
For the next hour of Classics Week, Robert Siestema pays homage to some of New York's finest restaurants now lost to history.