Welcome to the weekly Shutter Report. Know of any restaurants that have recently gone dark? Please send all info and/or photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
[Sushi Mambo during better days. Credit: Courtesy of Sushi Mambo]
1) West Village: Sushi Mambo, where Larry David once accused an employee of giving him a "shit bow", seems to have shuttered. A tipster reports that the corner restaurant is entirely boarded up and no one is answering the phone. It looks like the restaurant was struggling earlier this summer. A deal for a $70 sushi dinner for two was offered online for $35. [EaterWire]
2) Upper East Side: Gobo restaurant closed its location on 81st street and 3rd Avenue, posting a message on its site: "Thank you for supporting Gobo - Upper East Side. Unfortunately, we had to close this location due to the lease expiring.
We were unable to secure a new lease." The West Village location is still open. [EaterWire]
3) Tribeca: Mexican spot Burro Borracho has closed. It had been slowly fading away for some time, reports the Tribeca Citizen. [Tribeca Citizen]
4) Murray Hill: Emma's Dilemma Cafe closed sometime earlier this summer, according to EV Grieve. Now a sign in the window lists the retail space as up for rent. [EV Grieve]
5) Inwood: Takeout spot La Piñata Mexican Grill shuttered recently after only a year and a half in business, according to DNAinfo. The restaurant had applied for a liquor license back in June, but wasn't approved by the Community Board. [DNAinfo]
6) Upper West Side: After eight years in business, Tandoori served its last curry last night, says the Commercial Observer. The restaurant's inexpensive lunch buffet was a neighborhood staple. [Commercial Observer]