With the summer fast approaching, things are getting busy in the Hamptons. With weekend getaways in mind, here's a roundup of all the foods news from Eater's sister site Curbed Hamptons this week.
[Photo: Red Stixs]
1) Curbed Interviews: Chef Eric Miller talks about his new restaurant, the Bay Kitchen Bar, underrated fish, and cooking for competitions and food trends: "I'm not a biochemist type of a chef. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, so I don't do too much with it. I'm into the slow food movement. I've been that way my entire life, and I just don't like to alter stuff too much."
2) Water Mill: An Asian eatery called Red Stixs recently opened in the location that used to house Trata. The menu will serve Beijing preparations with a Hamptons style emphasis on seafood. Dishes include salt and pepper Maryland soft shell crab and Beijing chicken with walnuts in sweet brown sauce.
3) Picnics in the Hamptons: Madeline Picnic Co. , a new delivery service that will be launching later this summer offers prepared meals made with local produce including tartines, salads, and desserts, that are all made to be taken on picnics. Orders are placed online and then delivered within a half hour window. Madeline Picnic Co. currently services Southampton, Sag Harbor, and Amagansett.
4) Curbed Interviews: Curbed interviewed Todd Jacobs of Fresh Hamptons. They talked about health conscious food and sustainable food practices. Jacobs on getting the right produce: "Using organic food is important to me, but you need to know your farmer. There's no small farmer that wants to hurt his animals, land, or livelihood."
5) Shelter Island: Katana Restaurant and Bar, which recently opened in La Maison Blanche Hotel is serving a Thai and Indonesian inflected menu and includes a sushi bar serving sustainable fish. Expect dishes like pan-seared yellow fin tuna, shrimp and vegetable stir-fry, and Penang chicken green curry. Also look out for speciality cocktails such as the Thai Basil Smash: vodka, cucumber juice, basil, lime.
· Curbed Hamptons [Official Site]