New York City chefs and restaurateurs did not sweep the James Beard Awards as they have done in years past, but there were still some reasons to celebrate last night. Eater National has the full list of winners, but here's a look at how NYC fared:
· Nine years after her first Beard nomination, April Bloomfield finally won the award for Best Chef New York City. This was her fourth time being nominated in this category.
· Cronut King Dominique Ansel took home the gold for Outstanding Pastry Chef.
· The Bar at The Nomad won the award for Outstanding Bar Program. Will Guidara, Daniel Humm, and Jeffrey Tascarella all accompanied Leo Robitschek to the stage to accept the award.In the Best New Restaurant category, Pêche Seafood Grill (New Orleans) beat out New York favorites Betony, Carbone, and Estela. San Francisco's The Slanted Door won the award for Outstanding Restaurant, The Restaurant at Meadowood (St. Helena, CA) took home the gold for Outstanding Service, Boston's Barbara Lynch won for Outstanding Restaurateur, and Nancy Silverton (Pizzeria Mozza in LA) got a medal in the Outstanding Chef category. Two nominees tied for Rising Star Chef: Jimmy Bannos Jr. of Chicago's The Purple Pig, and Blaine Wetzel of The Willows Inn on Lummi Island.
· Brooklyn Brewery's Garret Oliver took home the award for Outstanding Wine, Beer, or Spirits Professional. He had been nominated in this category many times over the last decade, but this was his first win.
· Former Mayor Michael Bloomberg presented Le Cirque's Sirio Maccioni with the Lifetime Achievement Award.
Congratulations to all the winners. Stay tuned for full hangover observations later today.
· Winners: 2014 James Beard Restaurant and Chef Awards [~EN~]