Mets first baseman Lucas Duda and Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg both got food poisoning at Citi Field last week, and both ballplayers are claiming that burgers from Danny Meyer's Shake Shack made them sick. Duda was hospitalized on Friday, and told reporters that a Shake Shack burger was to blame, but a spokesperson for the Mets said that the burger did not come from one of the Citi Field Shake Shack locations.
A rep for Shake Shack also tells ESPN:
We've served thousands of guests at our Citi Field Shack over the past week, and this is the first we've heard of any issue whatsoever...We take every guest concern of any sort seriously, and as such reached out to Ryne Sandberg to get more information since we have not heard from him. We stand by our food quality 100 percent.Presumably, if these burgers were from another Shake Shack, they must have been sitting around for at least 45 minutes before the ballplayers gobbled them down. More details on Baseball Player Shake Shack Food Poisoning Gate 2014 as they become available.
· All Coverage of Shake Shack [~ENY~]
· Shake Shack Blamed for Illness [ESPN]