Here's the scene at Guy's American Kitchen and Bar, Guy Fieri's Times Square behemoth, almost one year after opening. Shitshow Week 2013 seemed like a good opportunity to make a return visit to the most critically reviled restaurant in recent memory. Take a look at the dining room at 1 p.m. on a Friday in August:
- While waiting outside for a dining companion, Eater witnessed more than one person stop and debate whether to go in, before moving on. One Spanish-speaking couple engaged in a heated argument over the matter. One man remarked, "Do you think I'm going to l
- Footage of Guy Fieri plays on all the televisions, including one facing the street. Presumably, quite a few people come to the restaurant solely because they've seen Guy on TV.
- The clientele seems to be mostly families with children, probably almost all of them tourists. There's actually a decent number of diners scattered throughout the restaurant, but they barely make a dent on the massive space.
- One of several empty dining rooms.
- The food is also exactly as inedible as it has been reported to be. Most offensive are "Vegas Fries," which are all mysteriously hollow, nothing but the crispy fried shell of a fry, drenched in extremely salty Buffalo sauce.
- The $17 salad is topped with the sort of things one would find at a complimentary salad bar.
- Partially filled dining room.