Whiskey Soda Lounge Ny quietly opened last night just down the street from its sister restaurant, Pok Pok Ny. Here are five important things to know about Andy Ricker's new bar:
1) The cocktail menu looks almost exactly like the one at Pok Pok, except for a couple of additions and variations, like a salted lime vodka collins instead of the salted plum version that's offered down the street.
2) The food menu is extensive and almost entirely new. There are bar snacks like fried anchovies, but also plenty of larger dishes like sour-cured pork riblets, poached squid salad, and a charcoal toasted dried cuttlefish that had sold out by 7:30 p.m. last night. The full menu is here.
3) Danny Bowien was there last night.
4) It's easy to miss. From the outside nothing but the simple black awning and a small window filled with Thai kitsch gives any indication as to what's behind the plain brick. The inside, for that matter, also sticks to Ricker's "no-design design" philosophy. It's a wood-paneled homage to classic Bangkok bars, decorated with colored Christmas lights, photos of boxers, and an electric waterfall in the bathroom.
5) It has a TV, which will usually be showing Thai boxing matches.
· All Coverage of Whiskey Soda Lounge Ny [~ENY~]