Patrick Cappiello has made the saber the most fashionable wine accessory of the moment. He often opens bottles of Champagne with a knife edge at Pearl & Ash, where he oversees the wine program. Patrick has developed a regular following for his sparkling flourishes, and sliced open bottles pics are a frequently cast front and center on Instagram. Want to get in on the action this New Year's Eve? Patrick counts down his favorite sparkling wines to saber, for the upcoming holiday or for any day.
10) Ca'dei Zago, Prosecco, Col Fondo, Friuli-Venezia, Italy: Light and refreshing, this 10% alcohol Prosecco is a great example of high quality small production sparkling wines being produced in Northern Italy.
9) Nathalie Gaubicher & Christian Chaussard, "Patapon," Loire Valley, France: The "beer drinkers" wine! This is one of the finest wines of the Pet Nat craze.
8) Peter Lauer, Riesling Sekt, Mosel, Germany: The bubbles from Germany are sadly overlooked. Lauer is one of the best and definitely worth seeking out!
7) Domaine la Loue, Cremant du Jura, Brut de Brut, Jura, France: The sparkling wines from the Jura have been slow to catch on stateside, but there is great value to be found in these wines.
6) Vilmart & Cie, Champagne, Brut "Grand Reserve," Montagne de Reims, France: One of the pioneers of the Grower Champagne movement, Vilmart continues to produce some of the most exciting wines in the region.
5) Delamotte, Champagne, Brut Blanc de Blancs, le Mesnil-sur-Oger, France: The baby brother of Salon, this is one of the greatest values in the "Big House" arena.
4) Doyard, Brut "Cuvee Vendemiaire," Vertus, France: This small domaine is a top producer in the southern village of Vertus, and uses all organic farming practices.
3) Ulysse Collin, Champagne, Extra Brut - Blanc de Noirs - "Le Maillons," Congy, France: This Domaine is one of the rising stars of the Grower Champagne movement. This rosy hued wine is made entirely from Pinot Noir.
2) Jerome Prevost, Champagne, "Brut La Closerie-Les Beguines," Gueux, France: Undoubtedly the finest example of a sparkling wine made from Pinot Meunier. Jerome Prevost is one of the most exciting winemakers in the region.
1) Jacques Selosse, "Brut Substance," Avize, France Anselme Selosse is the King of Champagne! This wine is Solera style dating back to 1986. Truly spectacular. The only trick is finding it.
· All Wine Coverage [~ENY~]