clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Black Friday Grease Fire Closes Restaurant Row's Barbetta

Daniel Krieger

One of America's oldest Italian restaurants was shuttered by a grease fire last Friday. The Post reports that the blaze broke out in the kitchen of Barbetta on Restaurant Row on Friday evening at around 6:30 p.m. Thankfully, no one was injured, and the fire did not damage the dining room. Owner Laura Maioglio tells the Daily News: "I was in the dining room when I heard the chef shouting, 'Fire! Fire!' We had to evacuate everybody and all the food was destroyed." The restaurant is currently closed, but the owners hope to reopen later this week. Barbetta has been in business since 1906. For more on its history, check out Brooks of Sheffield's "Who Goes There" post from 2010.
· Grease Fire at Legendary Barbetta Restaurant [NYP]
· Fire closes iconic Barbetta Restaurant [NYDN]

Barbetta

321 W 46th St., New York,

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Eater New York newsletter

The freshest news from the local food world