1) West Village: A tipster sends news that new French restaurant Sal et Gras is now open. The place offers French-style small plates in a wine bar setting. The hours are Sunday–Monday noon–2 a.m. Status: Certified Open; 131 Seventh Avenue South, (646) 558-5468.
2) East Village: A new pie joint called Cowboy Pizza is open in the space which Va Bene once occupied, notes Bowery Boogie. The soft opening happened over the holiday weekend, and the new spot is already serving slices to the neighborhood. The official launch party is this Friday at 7 p.m. Status: Certified Open; 201 Clinton Street, (212) 228-6461
3) Williamsburg: New Vietnamese spot, Bia Bar and Grill is open serving drinks inside of an old auto repair shop. The plan is to open with the full food menu in two weeks. Status: Certified Open; 67 South 6th Street.
4) East Village: Calliope is the new restaurant in the former Belcourt space from Waverly Inn and Prune alums. They offer a menu of earthy, no-frills fare, with menu items like crispy roast chicken with stuffed cabbage and carrots, whole grilled fluke, and a warm octopus salad with fingerling potatoes, white anchovy, and celery. Currently the space is only open for dinner, with plans to serve brunch soon. Status: Certified Open; 84 East Fourth Street, (212) 260-8484.
5) Carroll Gardens: First Place Provisions a store specializing in local teas, craft beers, and specialty coffee is now open. Inside there is an espresso bar serving Stumpton Coffee and some baked goods. Status: Certified Open; 414 Court Street.
[Local East Village]