clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Lower Manhattan Restaurants in the 1960s

New, 7 comments
White Rose Bar and Harmony Restaurant, Whitehall Street, Photo by Charles W. Cushman, 1960, From the Charles W. Cushman Photograph Collection [<a href="http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/cushman/results/detail.do?query=subject%3A%22Restaurants%22+AND+s
White Rose Bar and Harmony Restaurant, Whitehall Street, Photo by Charles W. Cushman, 1960, From the Charles W. Cushman Photograph Collection [

In the midst of a series of urban renewal proposals, lower Manhattan shifted from an economically depressed area to a commercial hub throughout the 1960s. Though there was a relatively small population of full-time residents in the neighborhood, there were ample dining establishments, some of which still remain today. Delmonico's, the famed steakhouse that credits itself with the creation of both eggs benedict and baked Alaska, drew in customers to its original location at 56 Beaver Street. Numerous restaurants including Harmony Bar & Grill, Harvey's, and Horse Shoe restaurant, catered to residents and neighborhood employees alike. Click on through to catch a glimpse of lower Manhattan in the 1960s.

-Alexis deBoschnek
· All Coverage of The Restaurants of Old New York [~ENY~]

Delmonico's

56 Beaver Street, Manhattan, NY 10004 (212) 509-1144 Visit Website

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Eater New York newsletter

The freshest news from the local food world