Tomorrow, Saturday May 19, concessions are officially open at the Rockaway Beach Club, a grouping of vendors all along the boardwalk. The stands sell tacos, arepas, smoothies, and micheladas, along with renting items like surfboards and bikes to beach-seeking New Yorkers. The season runs through September, weather permitting. The Rockaway Beach website has an illustrated, numbered map detailing locations of stalls and what's being sold this year.
Here's the list from the site:
*Please note that some vendors may open on Memorial Day, not tomorrow*
· Steve's Ice Cream—ice cream cones, sandwiches, bars, floats, milkshakes, and coffee
· Caracas—homemade Venezuelan arepas, empanadas and tropical drinks
· Low Tide Bar—beer, wine, micheladas, and shandies
· Rockaway Taco—Mexican street food and fresh fruit juice
· Motorboat and the Big Banana—fry shack and chocolate dipped frozen bananas
· Lobster Joint—New England sea side sandwiches
· Di'Cosmos—fresh fruit ices, natural frozen yogurt, and soft serve ice cream
· DP Pizza—deep-dish pizza by the slice
· Commodore East—burgers, nachos, pork boats, and salads
· Straw Hat's—family style beach cafe, coffee, juice, smoothies, sandwiches, salads, and baked goods
· Dredsurfer—smoothies, burgers, and snacks
· Rippers—burgers, dogs, fries, and fresh fruit
In addition to the boardwalk, worth checking out around the corner at 96th Street and Rockaway Beach Boulevard are Rockaway Taco Shack, DiCosmo's Ices, and Veggie Island. The season kicks off with a bike parade at 1 p.m. Directions about getting to Rockaway and entrances to the boardwalk are available on the site.