Yesterday, Pete Wells bestowed three stars on the grocer/sandwich shop/restaurant/salumi haven Il Buco Alimentari & Vineria, elevating it to the ranks of Masa, The Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare, Marea, and Minetta Tavern. Some people are thrilled, because, well it's delicious. Some people are not so thrilled. Some immediate reactions from the peanut gallery:
1) @lwyrip: "@pete_wells may have to create a fifth star if he ever gives Shake Shack a proper review."
2) Gael Greene: "GroceryStore w/trattoria,4 months old,3 stars.I think that matches or beats the Times rush to crown Le Bernardin in '86."
3) guest: "you know - i haven't been, so i cant really speak about the stars. but when you read stuff like "the overworked servers are always rushing" - and pete wells seems to not give a shit - or that he thought for a second that ordoardi makes great wine....it seems like he would be better off reviewing chinese restaurants in astoria or being chummy with jonathan gold talking about where to get the best authentic mexican flauta."
4) Josh Ozersky: "By the way -- this proves that Pete is assigning stars directly equal to his enthusiasm. That's the new system, finally, and it makes sense."
5) seyo: "I don't see what the big deal is re: the stars. Star ratings have different contexts. For example, there is no reason why a pizza by the slice joint couldn't earn four stars, by being the very best pizza by the slice joint conceivable. Stars aren't a way to compare restaurants. They are a way to measure how a restaurant performs compared to its own potential. In that sense, I can very well see how a place like this which is half deli half restaurant can earn three stars by being the best half deli half restaurant it can be. That includes the entire experience: the food, the decor, the service, and the value it represents: the price asked in exchange for said food, service, etc..."
6) kat kinsman: "For those agog at the @pete_wells Il Buco supernova: Claiborne gave 1 star each to Lutece & Chock Full O’ Nuts in 1961"
7) oakapple: "Well, I suppose if a chicken parm sandwich gets two stars, a side order of chickpeas gets three. Clear as day."
8) Sneakeater: Just to say it out loud: THERE IS NO CONCEIVABLE JUSTIFICATION FOR IL BUCO ALIMENTARIA TO HAVE MORE STARS THAN LINCOLN."
10) petewells: "OMG I JUST LIKED THE BREAD AND MEAT SO MUCH U GUYS. STOP HATING."