It can be hard to find something good to eat at the airport, especially if you don't have a lot of time to search around. But, there are a few gems out there if you know where to go. Just in time for the big holiday travel weekend, here's a re-run of Eater's handy guide to eating and drinking at LaGuardia with up-to-date info about all of the restaurants in each terminal, and recommendations for where to go if you have some time to kill, or if you just need a quick bite on the way to the gate.
LaGuardia's Five Standouts
1) Victory Grill: This new addition to Terminal C was developed by star chef Andrew Carmellini. The menu includes salads, a burger, steaks, roasted chicken, fish entrees, and raw bar offerings. The space includes a bar, so this is a great choice if you want to knock back a drink (or three) before stepping on the plane. See the menu here. [Terminal C, post-security in the Food Court]
2) A Taste of Pat La Frieda: Famed meat purveyor Pat LaFrieda helped develop the meat blend for the burgers here, which are made to order, and served "with all the fixings." And there are also milkshakes, made in-house. [Terminal D, post-security]
3) Vuelo Taqueria: A brand new casual Mexican concept from chef Aarón Sánchez, of Fonda and Centrico. The menu includes tacos, tortas, burritos, and breakfast items all made with quality meat and vegetables. This is the new LaGuardia restaurant that travelers seem to love the most. [Terminal C, post-security in the Food Court]
4) Taste of Bisoux: Delta brought in a star-studded lineup of New York City chefs to develop its culinary redesign of Terminal D, including Riad Nasr and Lee Hanson (Balthazar, Minetta Tavern, Pastis, and more), who designed a Provencal-inspired bistro. Croque monsieurs and duck confit are among the items on the menu, and everything can be ordered to-go. [Terminal D, post-security]
5) Taste of Taglaire: Dom DeMarco and Co. (from the legendary DiFara) take on the airport pizzeria at Tagliare, bringing original recipes into the terminal. Given the setting, they seem to have done pretty well for themselves. [Terminal D, post-security]
Bolding and * denotes Eater's seal of approval
Terminal A/Marine Air Terminal/Delta Shuttle
A Quick Meal
· Revive Bar: Beer, wine, and cocktails (post-security).
Terminal B/Central Terminal Building
A Quick Meal
· Angelina's Metro Market: artisan breads, imported cheeses, made-to-order salads, fresh pasta entrees, a panini bar, and more (pre-security, Arrivals Level Food Court and post-security by Gate B2).
· Asian Chao: pretty typical food court Chinese (pre-security, Arrivals Level Food Court).
· Auntie Annie's: those famous pretzels you know so well (pre-security, Arrivals Level Food Court and post-security in every concourse).
· Au Bon Pain: coffee, croissants, sandwiches (pre-security in Food Court by Concourse D and post-security in Concourses A, B, and C).
· Baskin Robbins: ice cream (pre-security in Food Court by Concourse D)
· Cibo Express Gourmet Market: snacks, salads, sandwiches to go (post-security, Concouses B and C).
· Cosi Pronto: sandwiches and salads (post-security, Concourse D).
· Dunkin' Donuts: coffee, donuts, breakfast sandwiches (pre-security in Food Court by Concourse D and post-security, Gate B4).
· Famous Famiglia: pizza (pre-security, Arrivals Level Food Court and Food Court by Concourse D).
· FIX Coffee and Bakery: espresso drinks, sandwiches, and pastries. (Pre-security in the Food Court by Concourse D)
· Five Guys: very decent for an airport burger* (pre-security in Food Court by Concourse D).
· Healthy Gourmet: "organically-themed" salads, sandwiches, and snacks. (post-security, near Gate D3)
· Metro Burger: burgers made with Pat LaFrieda beef, salads, snacks, and breakfast items.* (post-security, near Gate A3)
· MexiJoe's: quick-service Mexican food. (Pre-security in Food Court by Concourse D)
· New York Sports Bar: bar food, 24 beers on tap, and multiple large flat screens (pre-security, Concourse D and post-security, Concourse B).
· Jet Rock Bar & Grill: bar food, beer, multiple screens (pre-security, Concourses A and C).
· Sam Adams Pub: another sports bar with food (post-security, gate D8).
A Leisurely Meal
· Todd English's Figs Restaurant (post security, Gate D5) and Figs Cafe (pre security, Arrivals level): English's airport chain offers pizzas, pastas, paninis, and a kids menu. Honestly, it may be the best bet for a sit down meal in this terminal.
Terminal C/U.S. Airways Terminal
A Quick Meal
· Artichoke: An outpost of the East Village pizzeria favorite. (post-security, Food Court).
· Cibo Express Gourmet Market: salads, sandwiches, snacks to go (post-security, Food Court and by Gate 3).
· Interwich: "Global sandwiches" from TV star Andrew Zimmern* (post-security, Food Court)
· McDonald's (post-security, Food Court).
· Sky Asian Bistro: food court Chinese (post-security, Food Court).
· World Bean: Fresh roasted small-batch coffee, plus Balthazar pastries (post-security, Food Court).
· Xun Su: Made-to-order noodles, barbecued meat, and dumplings. (Post-security in the Food Court).
· Big Apple Bar: another sports bar with food (post-security, between Gates 12 and 15).
· Slip Mahoney's Irish Pub: more beer, bar food, and TVs (post-security, Gate 9).
· Vuelo Taqueria: A casual Mexican concept from chef Aarón Sánchez with tacos, tortas, burritos, and breakfast items* (Post-security in the Food Court).
A Leisurely Meal
· Victory Grill: Sit-down restaurant from Andrew Carmellini with American fare, including steaks, roasted chicken, and raw bar items. See the menu here* (Post-security in the Food Court).
Terminal D/Delta Terminal
A Quick Meal
· World Bean: fair trade coffee (two locations: one post-security, by Gate 1; another in the Food Court).
· Taste of Taglaire: Dom DeMarco and Co. (from the legendary DiFara) take on the airport pizzeria at Tagliare. Given the setting, it's pretty damn excellent* (post-security).
· Cibo Express Gourmet Market: salads, sandwiches, snacks to go (post-security).
· Taste of Pat LaFrieda: Burgers made to order and milkshakes* (post-security).
· Bar Brace: 'ino's Jason Denton created this bar serving paninis and bruschetta* (post-security).
· Crust: Jim Lahey, the man behind New York's Sullivan Street Bakery and Co. pizzeria is the brains behind Crust, where you can build your own pizza or select from a variety of pre-made creations* (post-security, by Gate 1).
· Fox Sports Bar (post-security).
A Leisurely Meal
· Taste of Bisoux: Here Minetta Tavern and Balthazar chefs Riad Nasr and Lee Hanson created a menu of French country classics. Great spot for a drink* (post-security, by Gate 3).
· Taste of Prime: Porterhouse chef Michael Lomonaco brings a steakhouse to the boarding gates, with "steaks, chops, burgers, fresh salads and fish." Note: it's relatively pricey and there have been accounts of slow service. (post-security).
NOTE: Some big restaurants are coming to Terminal C next year: a branch of Michael White's pasta and pizza concept Cotto; The Minnow from Andrew Carmellini; Empire Tavern from Balthazar's Riad Nasr and Lee Hanson; Custom Burgers by Pat La Frieda; a biergarten from Brooklyn Brewery's Garrett Oliver; and a Japanese restaurant from Jamison Blankenship of Chuko.