It can be hard to find something good to eat at the airport, especially if you don't have a lot of time to search around. But, there are a few gems out there if you know where to go. Here's a handy guide to eating and drinking at LaGuardia with info about all of the restaurants in each terminal, and recommendations for where to go if you have some time to kill, or if you just need a quick bite on the way to the gate.
LaGuardia's Five Standouts
1) Five Guys: It's no Shake Shack, but the recently opened Five Guys has burgers and fries good enough to beat out the food at almost all of the other LaGuardia fast food eateries. [Terminal B, pre-security]
2) A Taste of Pat La Frieda: Famed meat purveyor Pat LaFrieda helped develop the meat blend for the burgers here, which are made to order, and served "with all the fixings". And there are also milkshakes, made in-house. [Terminal D, post-security]
3) Crust: Bread master Jim Lahey used his experience from his pizzeria Co. to develop the menu for Crust, where, appropriately, you can build your own pizza or select from a variety of pre-made creations. You can also choose from a variety of antipasti and salads to accompany your meal. [Terminal D, post-security]
4) Taste of Bisoux: Delta brought in a star-studded lineup of New York City chefs to develop its culinary redesign of Terminal D, including Riad Nasr and Lee Hanson (Balthazar, Minetta Tavern, Pastis, and more), who designed a Provencal-inspired bistro. Croque monsieurs and duck confit are among the items on the menu, and everything can be ordered to-go. [Terminal D, post-security]
5) Taste of Taglaire: Dom DeMarco and Co. (from the legendary DiFara) take on the airport pizzeria at Tagliare, bringing original recipes into the terminal. Given the setting, they seem to have done pretty well for themselves. [Terminal D, post-security]
Bolding and * denotes Eater's seal of approval
Terminal A/Marine Air Terminal/Delta Shuttle
A Quick Meal
· Cibo Express Gourmet Market: offers snacks, sandwiches, salads to go (post-security).
· Java City: generic coffee, snacks (pre-security).
· Yankee Clipper: sandwiches, pizza, and your only option post-security (post-security).
Terminal B/Central Terminal Building
A Quick Meal
· Asian Chao: pretty typical food court Chinese (pre-security, Arrivals Level Food Court).
· Auntie Annie's: those famous pretzels you know so well (pre-security, Arrivals Level Food Court and post-security in every concourse).
· Au Bon Pain: coffee, croissants, sandwiches (pre-security in Food Court by Concourse D and post-security in Concourses A, B, and C).
· Baskin Robbins: ice cream (pre-security in Food Court by Concourse D)
· Brooklyn Deli: sandwiches and salads (pre-security, Arrivals Level Food Court).
· Candy Express: candy by the pound (pre-security, Arrivals Level Food Court).
· Cibo Express Gourmet Market: snacks, salads, sandwiches to go (post-security, Concouses B and C).
· Coffee Beanery: coffee, pastries (pre-security, Arrivals Level Food Court)
· Cosi: sandwiches, salads (post-security, Concourse D).
· Dunkin' Donuts: coffee, donuts, breakfast sandwiches (pre-security in Food Court by Concourse D and post-security, Gate B4).
· Famous Famiglia: pizza (pre-security, Arrivals Level Food Court and Food Court by Concourse D).
· Angelina's Metro Market: artisan breads, imported cheeses, made-to-order salads, fresh pasta entrees, a panini bar, and more (pre-security, Arrivals Level Food Court and post-security by Gate B2).
· Five Guys: very decent for an airport burger* (pre-security in Food Court by Concourse D).
· New York Sports Bar: bar food, 24 beers on tap, and multiple large flat screens (pre-security, Concourse D and post-security, Concourse B).
· Jet Rock Bar & Grill: bar food, beer, multiple screens (pre-security, Concourses A and C).
· Sam Adams Pub: another sports bar with food (post-security, gate D8).
A Leisurely Meal
· Todd English's Figs Restaurant (post security, Gate D5) and Figs Cafe (pre security, Arrivals level): English's airport chain offers pizzas, pastas, paninis, and a kids menu. Honestly, it may be the best bet for a sit down meal in this terminal.
Terminal C/U.S. Airways Terminal
A Quick Meal
· Dunkin' Donuts: coffee, donuts, breakfast sandwiches (pre-security and post-security, Food Court).
· Cibo Express Gourmet Market: salads, sandwiches, snacks to go (post-security, Food Court and by Gate 3).
· Joey’s New York Pizza: slices with all the toppings (post-security, Food Court).
· Papaya King: the LGA outpost of New York's famed hot dog slinger* (post-security, Food Court).
· Mex and the City: food court Mexican (post-security, Food Court).
· McDonald's (post-security, Food Court).
· Sky Asian Bistro: food court Chinese (post-security, Food Court).
· Slip Mahoney's Irish Pub: more beer, bar food, and TVs (post-security, Gate 9).
· Cibo Bistro & Wine Bar: not bad if you want a glass of wine (post-security, Gate 1).
· Big Apple Bar: another sports bar with food (post-security, between Gates 12 and 15).
Terminal D/Delta Terminal
A Quick Meal
· World Bean: fair trade coffee (post-security, by Gate 1).
· The Grove (post-security).
· Taste of Taglaire: Dom DeMarco and Co. (from the legendary DiFara) take on the airport pizzeria at Tagliare. Given the setting, it's pretty damn excellent* (post-security).
· Cibo Express Gourmet Market: salads, sandwiches, snacks to go (post-security).
· Taste of Pat LaFrieda: Burgers made to order and milkshakes* (post-security).
· Bar Brace: 'ino's Jason Denton created this bar serving paninis and bruschetta* (post-security).
· Crust: Jim Lahey, the man behind New York's Sullivan Street Bakery and Co. pizzeria is the brains behind Crust, where you can build your own pizza or select from a variety of pre-made creations* (post-security, by Gate 1).
· Fox Sports Bar (post-security).
A Leisurely Meal
· Taste of Bisoux: Here Minetta Tavern and Balthazar chefs Riad Nasr and Lee Hanson created a menu of French country classics. Great spot for a drink* (post-security, by Gate 3).
· Taste of Prime: Porterhouse chef Michael Lomonaco brings a steakhouse to the boarding gates, with "steaks, chops, burgers, fresh salads and fish." Note it's relatively pricey and there have been accounts of slow service (post-security).
More Eater Airport Dining Guides
1) New York City: John F. Kennedy (JFK) | LaGuardia (LGA) | Newark (EWR)
2) Los Angeles: Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
3) San Francisco: SF International (SFO) | Oakland International (OAK)
4) Washington, DC: Washington Dulles (IAD) | Reagan National (DCA) | Baltimore Washington International (BWI)
5) Boston: Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
6) Atlanta: Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL)
7) Miami: Miami International Airport (MIA)
8) New Orleans: Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY)
9) Chicago: O'Hare International Airport (ORD) | Chicago Midway (MDW)
10) Houston: George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) | William P. Hobby (HOU)
11) Austin: Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
12) Dallas: Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
13) Denver: Denver International Airport (DIA)
14) Portland, OR: Portland International Airport (PDX)
15) Seattle, WA: Seattle-Tacoma Airport (SEA)
16) Minnesota: Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport (MSP)
17) Barcelona: Barcelona El Prat Airport (BCN)