1) East Village: The Meatball Factory, the new meatball themed restaurant helmed by chef Dave Martin opened to the public earlier this week. Says a reader who went on opening night, "The food was honestly good, but the execution was a disaster. No one got what they ordered, we waited over an hour for bread, and Chef Dave looked about ready to kill some of his runners." Let's hope they iron out those kinks. Status: Certified Open; 231 2nd Ave. 212-260-8015.
2) Gramercy: New Italian restaurant Tommy Lasagna, which is, according to their press materials, "the ultimate lasagna destination," opens today on East 18th St. Chef Thomas Mosera will serve updates on his grandmother's recipes for specialty lasagnas (lobster, Bolognese, black truffle) and homemade pastas. The 70 seat space will also serve lunch and offer a full wine and cocktail bar. Status: Opening tonight; 119 E. 18th Street, 212-228-3494.
3) Gramurray: Zagat reports that a new Midtown location of cheesesteak spot Shorty's is now open on Madison and 27th Street. The restaurant also has a lengthy beer list, plenty of flat screens and gets its bread trucked in daily from Philadelphia. Status: Certified Open; 66 Madison Ave., 212-725-3900.
4) Midtown: Zagat notes that chef Zac Young of Flex Mussels opened his seasonal pop-up doughnut shop at Grand Central yesterday: "Young will be at the counter daily dishing out flavors like rum raisin, pecan pie and mulled cider." Status: Open through December 30; Grand Central Terminal.
5) Greenpoint: Here's Greenpoint notes that Charlotte Patisserie, a new pastry and coffee shop, has opened at 596 Manhattan Ave. They offer "a colorful display of eye-popping pies, cupcakes, and pastries, each one ornately designed to make you want to succumb to life's simple, delicious pleasures." Status: Certified Open; 596 Manhattan Ave.
6) Union Square: A new location of Potbelly Sandwich Shop opened yesterday at 17th Street and Broadway. This location is the fourth Potbelly in New York City. Status: Certified Open; 22 East 17th St., 646-289-4204.