1) East Village: EV Grieve reports that Bowery Coffee opened on Monday on 87 E. Houston just west of the Bowery. It's starting out with weekday 7 AM - 3 PM hours but will eventual extend to weekend hours. Status: Signs point to open; 87 East Houston St.
2) South Slope Fork in the Road reports that Mary's Bar, a new bar in the South Slope, opened in the old Smolen Bar & Grill space a couple of weeks ago. A former GM at Employees Only and a a stylist/designer are behind the project. Expect plenty of beers on tap, a pool table, darts, and free afternoon snacks. Status: Certified Open; 708 Fifth Avenue, Brooklyn, 718-499-2175.
3) Chelsea: Zagat notes that Kobeyaki a fast-casual Asian spot, is open in Chelsea. They serve pork buns, burgers, ramen, sushi, and customizable rice bowls. Status: Certified Open; 293 Seventh Ave., 212-242-5500.
4) Long Island City: Time Out New York reports that a new bakery called Chimney Cake is serving versions of kurtoskalacs, sugar-crusted rings of yeast pastry made with organic milk and eggs and topped with caramelized sugar, walnuts, coconut, almond, cinnamon, or chocolate and ginger. Status: Certified Open; 10-50 Jackson Ave., Long Island City, Queens, 718-786-1818.
5) FiDi: Zagat also brings word that SamSara Cafe, a new spot in by the Seaport by Stanton Social alum chef Joshua Elliot. Dishes include pulled pork profiteroles and beer and cheese fondue. Status: Certified Open; 277 Water St.; 212-444-9443.