1) East Village: EV Grieve brings word that Kumo Sushi (the spot that took over Cookout Grill, RIP) has opened on the corner of 1st Ave and 13th. And within a few days of opening, they already had their TV stolen...rough neighborhood. Status: Certified Open; 214 1st Ave, 212-677-7001.
2) Midtown West: Midtown Lunch relays the meat-juicy info that a branch of Five Guys on 48th St is ready and willing. Status: Certified Open; 36 West 48th St, 212-997-1270.
3) Astoria: FloFab profiles Astor Bake Shop, a new bakery brewing beans from Stone Street Coffee and specializing in European and American pastries. Status: Certified Open; 12-23 Astoria Blvd, 718-606-8439.
4) Midtown East: Off the Menu reports on cafe/bakery The Local Store, bringing a homey downtown aesthetic to Beekman Place. Status: Certified Open; 316 East 49th St, 212-935-4266.
5) Prospect Heights: Brownstoner checks in on the long-awaited outpost of Fort Greene's Pequena, which, like its sister restaurant, will start serving brunch immediately. Status: Opening tomorrow, June 25th; 601 Vanderbilt Ave, 718-230-5170.
6) Midtown East: Grub Street writes that the ramen joint from the Totto empire, Hidechan, is opening tomorrow serving tonkotsu, the rich pork-bone broth in the old Yakitori Torys space. Status: Opening tomorrow, June 25th; 248 East 52nd St, 212-813-1800.
- Zachary Feldman