Last night some very big deal New York restaurant personalities walked away with some major accolades from the James Beard Foundation. But while the awards themselves are the point of this whole dog and pony show, pretty much everyone who gathered at Lincoln Center and the winning restaurants were waiting for one thing all night: the after parties.
1) The major after party circuit: Bar Boulud, Marea, Ma Peche, Eleven Madison Park, Colicchio & Sons, Terroir Tribeca, and the Spotted Pig.
2) We didn't make it to Bar Boulud but heard that Mr. Boulud was being very suggestive with a bottle of champagne. This was not the end of his after party shenanigans.
3) Who rolled up to Ma Peche's keg party in a stretch hummer. Why that would be chefs Seamus Mullen, Sean Brock, Johnny Iuzzini, Georges Mendes, and Lee Anne Wong.
4) See above for Momo Keg Stands and Momo Flip Cup. Chang was not, we repeat not, in the house.
5) Eleven Madison Park was out of control from about 11 PM until the wee hours. There's something disconcerting about walking into a four star restaurant and witnessing a dining room full of grinding restaurant industry pros, beer cups in hand, chowing on hot dogs, while Daniel Boulud and Daniel Humm spray the crowd with champagne to LL Cool J's Around the Way Girl. Unlike two years ago, when EMP threw a solid but tame party, they came prepared this time with a hired DJ and beer stations.
6) By the end of the night Johnny Iuzzini and TONY critic Jay Cheshes were both dancing on the tables, and certain revelers made beer runs when the main EMP bar ran out. Also in the 2:45 AM roll call: Grant Achatz, Ed Levine, George Mendes, Daniel Humm, a lot of writers, and a lot of randos dancing on the tables. Said one Union Square Hospitality Group flack, "those people definitely do not work here." Luckily, Danny wasn't around to witness.
7) The hardcore partiers ended the night with 3 AM stops at Terroir Tribeca and the Pig, where we can only imagine what went down.