1) Hell's Kitchen: Life with Food and Drink spots Balkanika, what looks to be a wine bar and retail store on 9th Ave. between 47th and 48th. [POST-PLYWOOD]
2) Williamsburg: A tipster reveals that Night of Joy, a new sister bar to The Dove on Thompson Street, is opening at 677 Lorimer Street at Meeker later this week.
4) Dumbo The Brooklyn Paper has some more details on Brooklyn Bridge Gardens, mentioned last week in the Plywood Report. The chef/owner of the last restaurant in this space Five Front is staying on as chef, and he says he hopes to serve classic American fare while catering to the drinking set. It opens this Friday. [POST PLYWOOD]
5) Midtown: Midtown Lunch reports that the old Rainbow Deli space on 35th St. between 5th and 6th Aves. will reopen as Lena Latin Grill. Workers think it may reopen as soon as this month. [PLYWOOD]
6) West Village: I Loved New York has an update on yesterday's news that Malatesta is taking over the old Baby Buddha space. The new place will be called MalaMarket and looks to be a shop/pizza place/restaurant. [PLYWOOD]
7) Union Square: Grub Street brings word that a new Pop Burger will open on University Place and 11th St. this September. It will sell burgers of course, but also pastries and owner Roy Liebenthal's new coffee brand, Pop Roast: "It will be like Pop Burger meets Starbucks,'' he tells Grubz. [PLYWOOD]
8) Williamsburg: Fork in the Road reports that the owners of Anytime Cafe are opening a new restaurant on Skillman over by Lorimer. Called House of Small Wonder, the cafe will open by the end of the month and will serve coffee, pastries, sandwiches, and brunch. [PLYWOOD]