There were a handful of big NYC chefs, restaurateurs and somms running in the ING Marathon yesterday. The most high-profile was Bobby Flay — he ran a good race, but got totally smoked by freshly unemployed chef Nate Appleman. Both of their times were bested by dell'anima/Anfora co-owner and wine man Joe Campanale. Here's how a few of the NYC food people stacked up:
· Joe Campanale (co-owner, dell'anima, Anfora): 03:45:34
· Nate Appleman (formerly of Pulino's): 03:51:58
· Bobby Flay (chef/owner Mesa Grill, Bar Americain, etc.): 04:01:37
· Robert Bohr (sommelier, formerly of Cru): 04:03:51
· Ivy Stark (executive chef, Dos Caminos): 05:35:14
· Gordon Finn (chef, Alto): 05:50:08
Notably absent from the ING Marathon results database, was any info on Joe Bastianich. Perhaps he ran under a different name because he's so famous now and he didn't want to be harangued by fellow marathoners asking him for his autograph? Or maybe he just didn't run because he was still too stuffed from the huge pre-marathon party at Eataly last week? Who knows.
UPDATE: Joe Bastianich's people write in to explain why his numbers weren't up: "He was victim of a faulty chip, and ran under 3:45- so he smoked all of them!"