Today is Sam Sifton's one year anniversary as NYT food critic! What, did you think we would forget? That's right, on this day last year, Sifton dropped his very first review (after months of prep), which started with the lines "Hey ho, let's go!," and true to that promise, he's taken us on a wild culinary journey of sorts. From four-star Italian fine dining palaces, to gin bar deuces, goose egg fish shacks, celeb chef projects, and plenty of places we've never heard of and don't care to visit— you name it, Sifton was on it. Here now is a chart that shows how his ratings have skewed over the last twelve months — a similar breakdown for Frank Bruni's last year shows the same percentage of three spots, but way more one star reviews and way less two star ones. Does Sam love giving the deuce more than Frankie Two Stars? Or are there just more restaurants worthy of that rating now than there were in 2008-2009? Let's take a look.
Ed's Chowder House , 12/16/09
Le Caprice, 1/27/10
Mia Dona, 5/19/10
Plein Sud, 08/24/10
Xiao Ye, 10/12/10
The Breslin, 1/13/10
Chin Chin , 3/24/10
Fatty Cue, 5/12/10
Imperial Palace, 10/28/09
Le Relais de Venise, 11/4/09
The Lion, 07/27/10
Purple Yam, 12/30/09
Tanuki Tavern, 12/16/09
Wall & Water, 08/24/09
A Voce Columbus, 11/25/09
ABC Kitchen, 06/01/10
Má Pêche, 07/13/10
The Mark, 4/28/10
SHO Shaun Hergatt, 4/21/10
Strip House, 3/10/10
Casa Lever, 1/6/10
Il Matto, 08/31/10
Marc Forgione, 10/05/10
Prime Meats, 05/25/10
Tamarind Tribecca, 08/03/10
Torrisi Italian Specialties, 06/08/10
Colicchio & Sons, 3/17/10
La Grenouille, 12/23/09
Del Posto, 09/28/10
Review Breakdown by Borough:
(note: Motorino was counted as a Brooklyn restaurant, even though his review was about both locations)
The Top Sam Sifton News Stories of the Last 14 Months:
· BREAKING: NYT's Sam Sifton IN as Next Restaurant Critic
· To Catch a Critic: Times Strips Sifton Photos From Site
· Eater's Official Sam Sifton Dossier—Clip N' Save!
· Spotting the Siftonator: Future Critic at The Redhead?
· Sam Sifton's Best of New York: The Complete Guide!
· And Now, Times Critic Sam Sifton with a Double Down!
· And Now... Sam Sifton Mad Libs!
· The Greatest Hits of Sam Sifton's Music References
· Sam Sifton's Ten Most Dramatic Closing Sentences
· Rest Easy Restaurateurs: Sam Sifton is Going Off the Grid
· Sifton Responds to Steingarten's Accusation of Brooklyn Bias
· The 10 Best Incredulous Responses to Del Posto's Four Star