Two years after our first report on the state of the Deathwatch, it's time for a refresher. And what better day than today, when news broke that longtime Deathwatch vet Aspen had closed for good. What follows is a list of every single restaurant that has ever been put on the Deathwatch since we started the endeavor four years ago—note there was a yearlong break between the falls of '08 and '09. 28 are gone forever, 15 are alive and still being monitored closely, and 3 restaurants have been taken off the list for good.
6. Steak Frites (7th Ave South)
8. Sheridan Square
9. Zoe Townhouse UES
15. Gin Lane
17. Cronkite Pizzeria
18. Lonesome Dove
22. J. Cool
25. Barca 18
26. Rice On Mott (though it reopened in the same nabe)
27. Biltmore Room
28. Bistro Du Vent
IN REMISSION (due to time on list)
1. Diablo Royale (Remission, last we checked in)
2. Buddha Bar (Remission, for two years)
3. Cercle Rouge (Remission, for two years)
4. Barbounia (newly in remission)
5. 24 Prince (newly in remission)
Deathwatched, Subsequently De-Listed, and Very Much Still Alive:
Comments: Taken off the list in Jan '08
2 & 3. Beer Table and Burger Shoppe
Comments: These two were put on the Deathwatch because of overpriced menu items. We made our point. They are both fine restaurants that will survive.
Have a new deathwatch candidate? Send it this way.