Inside the Brooklyn Kitchen Labs & The Meat Hook
1) Williamsburg: Today is the grand opening of The Brooklyn Kitchen Labs, the new butcher, dry goods, cookware, and culinary education complex in Williamsburg. The butcher counter, The Meat Hook, is the brainchild of ex-Marlow and Daughters meat men Tom Mylan and Brent Young, and will offer locally sourced, house-aged cuts of meat and housemade sausages and classes on various spects of cutting, curing, and prepping meat. The rest of the space houses other cooking resources, including an artisanal oil dispensary, home kitchen equipment, a cookbook library, and two huge kitchen labs. A full schedule of December classes will be available on their website tomorrow. Status: Certified Open, 100 Frost st., 718-349-5033.
2) Flatiron: The Dizzy Fizz and Urban Daddy bring word that Rye House, a new bar and restaurant that aims to recall a Pittsburgh area tavern, is now open. Expect a roster of Pennsylvania brews on tap, a cocktail program from an ex-Freeman's mixologist, and a full menu of things that people in Pittsburgh love (a hot-dog, colselaw and french fry sandwich), as well as things that New Yorkers love (foie gras, a $15 cheeseburger). Status: Soft open tonight, grand opening tomorrow, 11 West 17th St., 212-255-7260.
3) Windsor Terrace: Metromix has details on South, the week and a half old neighborhood watering hole in the old Vin Rogue space in Windsor Terrace. Lone Star beer is on tap, cheap bar nibbles like chips and dip are available at the bar and there are plans for an expanded food menu in the next few months. Status: Certified Open, 629 Fifth Ave. 718-832-4720.
4) UES: The Feed reports that the team behind Vynl have opened their upscale Mexican joint with a similarly vowel-deficient name, MXco. East Siders can look forward to fancy-pants taco platters and mix-in-your-own-flavor margaritas. Status: Not open. Grand opening scheduled for this Wednesday the 18th, 1491 Second Ave at 78th St., 212-249-6080.
5) Harlem: A new spot called Oui, Oui (say it aloud with us, Oui Oui) has opened on 7th and 128th in Harlem. They sell crepes and pizza! Status: Certified Open; 2167 Adam Clayton Powell/7th Avenue, 212-866-3020.