Gael Greene files her awaited review of Momofuku Ko, following last week's Craigslist Tom/double booking debacle. For the record, Tom is cute, the chefs, bored, and Chang, rude. As for the food, Greene finds it impressive but uneven overall. Some highlights:
· On Tom: "He seemed unimpeachably righteous to me in his business suit, taller than Clint Eastwood, with curly, dark blond hair and blue eyes."· Oh Dad, Poor Dad, Momo’s in the Closet and I’m Feeling So Sad [Insatiable Critic]
· On the chefs: "The crew nimbly slicing, slivering, plating, announcing each dish as it was presented - were too joyless, rushed, indifferent, possibly bored".
· On girls and boys dishes: "And I’m sure an anti-feminist plot can be found in analyzing which dishes go to the 'ladies' and which to 'the gentlemen,' in courses that don’t come in pairs."
· On the famous foie gras dish: "...has brought some worthy critics to their knees. But I am forced to taste it again and again to be sure I hate it as much as I do. I wouldn’t be happy lapping up shavings of pork fat either."
· On the resy confrontation: "an officious type brandishing his BlueBerry, accosts Tom right there, at the counter. 'There it is,' he says, pointing to some indecipherable print on the miniscule screen, 'Your cancellation.'"
· On the Big send off: "'I believe Chef Chang feels that if we have made a mistake, you should be our guest and if you have made an error, we don’t want your money.' I am stung. How rude. How stupid and insulting did Chang need to be?"
· Ko-BOOM: Craigslist Tom's Appeal & The Momo' Ko Smackdown [~E~]
· When Good People Do Bad Things to Get Into Ko [~E~]
— Photo Credit