This is the Thursday Opening Report, a regular feature that provides the precise status of venues reported as open elsewhere. As per standard operating procedure around here, your contributions are so very welcome.
1) Lower East Side: Thrillist reports on the opening of restaurant and "chill-eria," A Casa Fox, claiming it will open tomorrow night. They’ve also got the lowdown on the offerings: "By day, ACF's a wi-fi'd up chill-eria serving a daily-changing selection of homemade fare like risotto croquettes w/ serrano ham, soups, and eight varieties of her signature empanadas -- which in Central America trump Hot Pockets as the prokaryote of all deliciousness. By night, ACF's table service, plating small bites and clay pot dinners." Status: Unknown. No answer to phone calls. 173 Orchard Street; 212.253.1900. [Thrillist]
2) Midtown: Fig & Olive has expanded to Midtown, opening a third location on E. 52nd Street according to this week’s Flo Fab. Although a few days ago, Bottomless Dish revealed deets from the press release: "The new two-story venue off Fifth Avenue encompasses 5,000 square feet, with each floor providing a distinctly, different experience for 200 guests. Throughout the day, the Counter Bar will offer 'takeaway' and prepared items to the neighboring corporate lunch clientele, including freshly baked olive oil bread and savories, baked on premise daily, warm paninis as well as FIG & OLIVE’s signature salads with unique olive oil dressings.” Status: Certified Soft Open, Grand Opening was last night. 10 East 52nd Street; 212-319-2002. [Bottomless Dish]
3) Williamsburg: DBTH reports on the opening of Trophy, a new bar/music venue in Billyburg that supposedly opened last night. From the Myspace page: “Trophy offers a selection of 8 beers on draught, a concise wine list, and full liquor collection, with an emphasis on Tequila and Whiskey. The cocktail menu will offer signature drinks such as the Loving Cup, Goblet, Strongman, Bakelite and Runner Up. In addition to drinks, Trophy will offer a light menu of grilled sandwiches.” Status: Unknown, phone number gives busy signal. 351 Broadway; Williamsburg; 718-569-0265. [DBTH]
4) Park Slope: TONY has the scoop on Brooklyn eatery (not Tom Green movie), Eurotrip, which is slated to open this week in Park Slope. Here's the story: "This Central European spot from Czech owners Otto and Maria Zizak is a far cry from the youth hostels its name evokes. The pair promises a refined menu that includes duck Wien (duck confit with buckwheat stuffing and riesling sauce) and mussels steamed in tocai.” Status: Not open. Opening Tuesday the 15th. 667 Fifth Avenue; Park Slope; 718-285-9425. [TONY]
5) West Village: Both the Times and Lady Strongbuzz report on the opening of Cho Cho San, a Japanese eatery on W. 8th Street. Flo Fab reports the following: "Fabrizio Melano, an opera director, is backing this Japanese spot, which is named for Cio-Cio-San, the heroine of “Madama Butterfly” (and purposely misspelled). It opened on Monday in Greenwich Village. Jun Nagano, who was at the venerable but now closed Taste of Tokyo in the Village, is the manager and executive chef. Fusion dishes include a Puccini sushi roll made with olives.” Phone calls confirm it open. Status: Certified Open. 15 West 8th Street, (212) 473-3333. [NYT] —Kelly Dobkin