Friday afternoon, and time for another Plywood Report, chronicling bars and restaurants in various stages of construction around town. Your tips are, as always, appreciated.
1) Central Village: An update on a Plywood vet, from a tipster: "At 90 University Place, the new Grey Dog, plywood comes down (above). Still a good deal of work left, but the place is coming out beautifully—and very unique looking compared to pre-fab storefronts and interiors that so many places opt for—lots of exposed brick, wood and exposed (original) columns. Hungry residents stare in longingly in anticipation." [POST-PLYWOOD]
2) 14th Street DMZ: From a tipster of few words: "Brick oven pizza (right). On 14th street and either sixth or seventh aves." [PLYWOOD]
3) Chelsea: A follow-up to a previous Wire report, from a very informed source: "Jon B from Guest House and Home is currently renovating the former Crush space, he will be opening in June and the venue will be called Greenhouse. Saninsky has nothing to do with it." [PLYWOOD]
4) Bowery: Cutlets has it that chef Daniel Boulud has settled on the area around the new Bowery Whole Foods for his new, more casual restaurant. Location is a bit unclear—across the street from Whole Foods on Houston is the Liz Chrystie Garden, so perhaps this is on Bowery itself. Cool. [PRE-PLYWOOD]
5) Greenpoint: Urgent Ice Cream Report #1: "I took this picture (above) while walking around my neighborhood. It looks as though Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory is going to be moving into Bleu Drawe's old home here in Greenpoint, at 97 Commercial Street." [PLYWOOD]
6) Midtown: Urgent Ice Cream Report #2: Per Midtown Lunch, "The sandwich place T.A.O.S. has closed, and will be replaced by a Blue Pig Ice Cream Parlor. They already have two locations, one in Brooklyn Heights, and another in Westchester County. It’s not as exciting as the Yolato news, but we’ll take it. Speaking of Yolato, the owners plan on having the new Grand Central location open by the end of June." Click on through for pix. [PLYWOOD]