And now, the annual Eater Gift Guide. We'll be getting this to you in four parts, two each today and tomorrow.
Some suckers line up at Sears to have their photos taken and put in a few requests with Santa; others send lists to the North Pole and hope that they've made this year's NICE cut. Jolly (three sheets to the wind) Old Saint Eater deals in more specialized holiday covetings, those of New York City's finest local restaurateurs and gatekeepers. We don't care if they've been naughty. Only criterion here: Good taste. Adventurers in Gifting, take note: it never hurts to find out what the guardians of the best seats in town want most, not that they're soliciting or anything.
Marc Meyer & Vicki Freeman
Husband-n-wife proprietors, Five Points, Cookshop, & Provence
For the family:
1) A week at Parrot Cay in Turks & Caicos
2) A good local Chinese restaurant
3) A table at Lupa
4) A yearlong subscription to Murray's Cheese of the Month Club
5) More time with our kids
Vicki's List for Marc:
1) For Marc to come see 3 movies with me in one day
2) A green Vespa LXV
3) For Marc to make me pasta with truffles
Marc's List for Vicki:
1) Another mortar and pestle for my collection, maybe this one
2) Some sort of bike storage to hold my belongings while I am riding from one restaurant to the next.
Restaurateur/Founder Union Square Hospitality Group; Author, "Setting the Table"; Presumed Future Mayor of NYC:
1) A case of Billecart Salmon Rose Champagne
2) Bacon of the Month from Grateful Palate
3) Caviar from Caviar Russe
4) 3"-thick Porterhouse Steaks from Lobels
Carlos Suarez, proprietor, Bobo:
1) Shirts from Turnbull and Asser or Charvet (available at Bergdorf Goodman Men's, 745 Fifth Avenue; 212.753.7300) in solid white, blue, or, tight red-n-blue check. "French or three-button cuffs. They're beautifully fitted and made of great fabrics that last."
2) A ticket on Delta's nonstop service to Pisa. "I'm hoping to visit my parents in Lucca sometime this spring."
3) Jamon Iberico ? from D'Espana.