For those not heading east or afar for Memorial Day Weekend, prepare to enjoy the first uncrowded Manhattan weekend of the summer. Though we're fans of walking in at places that might otherwise turn one away without a RESY, several newcomers beg consideration. Herewith, your Memorial Day Weekend Dish...
1) Though official opening isn't until next week, John McDonald's much discussed Lafayette Street newcomer Chinatown Brasserie is hosting the soft open to end all soft opens. We're hard pressed, in fact, to find an acquaintance who hasn't yet stopped by for a bite. With a little confidence, you can join their ranks this weekend.
2) Flying in well under the radar is East Village newcomer Knife + Fork. The DailyCandy gals got the scoop on the joint, noting menu items including saffron-poached pineapple and foie gras, curry-dusted skate, and lavender-rubbed duck breast. It joins a crowded East 4th dining block (between First and Second).
3) You've received your A60 card, yes? Excellent. The roof awaits.
4) For uptown sorts, a new Central Park dining option is the SheepMeadow Cafe. New York sees "charcoal-fired barbecue and a supply of seasonal Greenmarket produce."
5) Finally, across the East River, let us not forget the opening of a place that last summer became an in-the-know favorite: Harry's at Water Taxi Beach in Long Island City. Details of tomorrow's opening on the official site. Set the SPF to 45 and hit it.